CHAPTER-2 Components of food
1. Nutrients: The substances which give us energy to grow and do work.
2. Nutritional components: Proteins, Carbohydrates, Fats, Vitamins and minerals.
3. Functions of Vitamins: vitamins protect us from diseases and take care of the body.
4. Function of proteins: Protein help in growth of body and healing of wounded tissues.
5. Functions of fats and carbohydrates: Fats and carbohydrates give us energy.
6. Sources of Proteins: Pulses, milk, egg, fish and soya bean are the main source of proteins.
7. Types of the Vitamins: 1. Water soluble: - Vitamin B, Vitamin C, and Vitamin D
2. Fats soluble: - Vitamin A, E, K
8. Fibers: The skins of fruits and vegetables have special kinds of carbohydrates.
9. Function of foods: Food gives nutritional functions which are responsible for energy, strength and growth of our body and also protect us from various diseases.
10. Balance diet: A balanced diet provides us energy, strength and growth of our body and also protects us from various diseases. It keeps our body fit and healthy.
11. Starch presents in food: We take sample of food item or a raw ingredient. Put 2 to 3 drops of dilute solution on it. If it converts into a blue color which indicates that it contain starch.
12. Types of Vitamins: There are different kinds of vitamin:
1. Vitamin a 2. Vitamin B- complex 3. Vitamin C
4. Vitamin D 5. Vitamin E 6.Vitamin K
13. Vitamin B complex: There is a group of vitamin called Vitamin B complex.
14. Vitamin is prepared: Vitamin D is prepared in our body.
15. Roughage or fibrous food: Roughage is dietary fibers which is mainly provides by products in our body.
16. Five source of roughage: Whole grains and pulses, potatoes, fresh fruits and vegetable are main source of roughage.
17. Take roughage in our food: The benefit to take roughage in our food as follow:
(1) It is an essential component of our food and adds to its bulk.
(2) This helps our body get rid of undigested food.
(3) It also helps to remove constipation.
18. Body needs water: Our body needs water as:
(I) Water helps our body to absorb nutrients from food.
(ii) It also helps in throwing out some wasted from body as urine and sweat.
19. Balanced diet: A diet which has all essential nutrients, roughage, and water is known as balanced diet.
20. Deficiency diseases: diseases those occur due to lack of nutrients over a long period are called Deficiency diseases.
21. Give us energy nutrients: Fats and carbohydrates.
22. More energy of carbohydrates: Fats more energy of carbohydrates
23. Heat during cooking: Vitamin C.
24. Fats and carbohydrates: Energy giving foods.
25. Protein are needed: Protein are needed for the growth and repair.